Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Diving Invitational

Little late, but I posted two posts on Saturday so I figured I shouldn't post 3......

Here is what happened on Saturday in Columbia, Missouri at Mizzou:

8:57
Swim is a common sport, but dive is a little more rare. So that's why I joined dive haha! I joined my sophomore year of high school when I moved to a new school, and have done it ever since! Ever year there is a huge "invitational" meet, and this year I am writing blog posts while waiting for warm up to begin! I woke up at 4:30 this morning so that I would be ready to leave my house at 5 so that I could get on the bus that leaves at 5:15. After a 2 hour drive, we are here and I'm waiting on the side for diving warm-ups to begin. Oh, did I mention that this meet is expected to end at 8 PM?!?!?! We will then get home around 10.... a total of 17 hours.
12:08 
Warm ups have commenced and I'm just waiting for the dive competition to start....It starts at 12:15 so I should probably get ready, but I'm 23 on the list so it will be awhile before it is my turn.
This meet is an invitational so everyone will do 11 dives. There were supposed to be 52 girls competing (which is A LOT and would take forever!) but 13 girls "scratched" or basically chickened out. If all 52 girls had dived there would have been a cut after 3 dives, then after 5, and then after 8. But since there were only 39 girls, ever girl did 5 dives, and then we had a break as the judges cut 19 girls. Then the top 20 would do 3 more dives, and then the top 16 would move onto the finals.
3:58 
Finals are going to start in a little bit, I am currently in 15th place (so I made finals). I haven't competed any hard dives today though...if I had actually gone to/had practice the last two weeks I would have been better prepared and would probably be in 12th place at least right now.
4:12
I finished finals in 12th place, which is good that I went up, but bad because in my last 3 dives I did a double front flip (it turned out okay...got 5's), a front flip full twist (I should have done a full twisting 1.5, but I haven't gone to practice lately...but it was really good with about 6.5/7's), and a reverse dive that was AWFUL....I haven't done one since last year haha I just didn't have my 1.5 either so I had to do at least one since I was already doing a reverse flip.

Not expecting anyone to really understand that. It takes a while, trust me. I haven't even mentioned the naming, for example: 104C's, and 403B's.... they are easy to mix up. Last year at conference, I mixed up an inward dive and reverse dive and failed the ONLY dive of my whole season. I would have gotten 2nd at conference, but I got 7th. It was really frustrating because I should have known my list to begin with...

Hopefully I will have some pictures or videos from my meet...maybe a fail or two... In the future there will definitely be more.





No comments:

Post a Comment